RFCs, Debian and Samba build dependencies

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Dec 1 04:05:35 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 07:10 +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Andrew Bartlett (abartlet at samba.org):
> > Jelmer,
> >
> > I had to revert your commit to remove RFC files from Samba4 releases, as
> > it broke the build of our release tarballs - Heimdal uses python to
> > extract tables from the rfc files, and then uses them to build header
> > files.
> >
> > Can we work to see if we can find a solution that is acceptable to
> > Debian and does not break Samba to badly?
>
> Please find below the text of the original bug report we got about
> this (we got a similar bug report for samba 3, as it carries some
> samba4 sources).
>
> It proposes 3 solutions:
> 1) ask the author of the RFC to relicense it under a free license
> 2) repackage upstream sources without the offending documents
> 3) move the package to non free.
>
> 1) seems out of question as it would certainly require hairy
> discussions with RFC authors while.....I'm not sure we (samba pkg
> maintainers) are freeness-junkies enough to sustain it (IIRC I voted
> against the resolutions that were attempting to make non modificable
> documentation non free because I think this is more or less shooting
> self in feet).
>
> 2) was possible but we preferred working directly with upstream (as
> one of us is part of upstream) to remove the supposedly unmandatory
> documents
>
> 3) would be interesting..:-)

It seems the most viable solution at this time, given the self-defeating
policies in place...  (Which is a pity, given the efforts we went to in
getting the Microsoft schema and display specifiers acceptably
licensed).

How has the Heimdal package deal with this?

(we get this 'problem' from Heimdal, because Heimdal's author quite
reasonably wants to use canonical sources for generated tables).

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.