Samba Stealth Mode?

lars0 lars.osborne at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 00:27:21 MDT 2009

This may not necessarily be a directly Samba-related question, but I thought
that this would be the best place to start.

I have decided that I would really like to set-up a file-server in my dorm
room for my floor and friends to access. I naturally decided the best way to
do this would probably be using Samba on a Linux box. Unfortunatley our
University has prohibitions against providing most/all network services from
our connection (most notably, WINS).
I was hoping someone could tell me if there would be a way to configure
Samba in a 'stealth' mode so it did not broadcast itself and show up on
network user lists at the least. I really don't know if this is possible to
do at all because I am really a samba newbie.
I was planning on keeping the server behind a NAT with port forwarding. If
it also helps, our IT department is really not that smart and does not scan
for infractions against its policies.
Any Suggestions?
Thanks,
Lars