Samba4 Alpha 9 - More missing POSIX attributes on latest build(RESOLVED)

MICHAEL BROWN mbrown at mesainc.com
Fri Aug 28 08:58:19 MDT 2009

Greetings,
the GDB debug output is attached.  This is also on latest GIT.

Here are the steps, if relevant:

*) Provision backend
*) Start SLAPD with "ldap_backend_startup.sh" within "/samba/private/ldap"
*) Start SAMBA process
*) Change "administrator" password with ./net command, which gives the following error:

ERROR: talloc_free with references at libnet/libnet_passwd.c:630
        reference at libnet/libnet_rpc.c:419
        reference at libnet/libnet_rpc.c:198

but changes the password OK.

*) Connect to SAMBA backend with LDAP client with administrator credentials
*) Import test user and group via LDIF file that contains MS and POSIX attributes.   All import perfect.
*) Stop SAMBA process and setup GDB for SAMBA
*) Run MS user/group MMC and select the group object, then crash.

On a different note, and I am sure you guys are aware of this, the python scripts for changing a users's password, as well as adding a user, don't work if the backend is provisioned for OpenLDAP.  No big deal because you can use the net command to change the password (with the error noted above).  However, I don't think you can use the net command to add a user, again when using OpenLDAP backend.  No big deal there either..

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 13:21 -0500, MICHAEL BROWN wrote:
> Greetings,
> these attributes ARE working correctly in both SAMBA backend, as well as OpenLDAP backend.  The "changetype" function was the issue.
> Sorry for the posts.
>
> However, I did see the following error on an XP machine NOT joined to the SAMBA domain when SAMBA's provision script uses the OpenLDAP
> backend.  Using the AD user/group MMC, SAMBA crashed when selecting a group object to view it's properties.  This is GIT version f2fa9e6.

Any chance of catching this under gdb and running 'bt full'?

Also ensure you compile with --enable-developer so we get full symbols.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team           http://samba.org ( http://samba.org/ )
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.