upgrade provision script TP1

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 26 00:33:14 MDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 01:45 +0400, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Hello andrew,
>
> I've been pushing quite hard on this upgrade script.
>
> So far it only upgrades the schema but most is already in to do upgrade
> for the whole sam.ldb (schema, users,configuration).
>
> I'd like that anyone interested throw an eye on it, of course it is a
> bit rough but it's more or less like this that I think my script will be.

I've been looking over this, and trying to see ways that you can make it
a bit more sane.

I've added a new ldb.write_ldif() hook to the python bindings, so you
can still debug it the way you have been, without building the result
using ldif

You should be able to build the modify message from the ground up -
there are good examples in lib/ldb/tests/python/api.py

I've also changed the way we set schema up, so if you call
        samdb.write_prefixes_from_schema()
It should write the prefixes from the current schema into the DB.
(you had problems with the prefix map table before)

The more I look at the script, the more I'm impressed - you have done a
lot of very interesting work there.  The list of things 'not to
fix' (like the objectGUID, whenCreated etc) is perhaps one of the most
important parts.  The main thing I see is it needs is to call
Provision() directly.

Once you get it tidied up, I can certainly look into how to trigger the
reindex etc.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.