Handling in an elegant and efficient way SPN cifs/realm

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 25 18:36:38 MDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 01:55 +0400, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I rediscover that Windows client are time to times looking for cifs/real
> SPN (ie. cifs/smb4.tst or cifs/SMB4.TST). One quick way to avoid this
> problem is to add this SPN to the list of SPN of the DC.
>
> That's an easy trick and maybe it can be done for the moment until we
> have something a bit more efficient ?
>
> The absence of this SPN cause windows to switch to NTLM so still the
> access is possible.

I asked about this on cifs-protocol earlier this year.  If you could
read the responses, and see if you can make more sense of it than I did,
then we can implement that properly.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/cifs-protocol/2009-June/000778.html

Otherwise, we might need to ask yet again, because I've never really
understood the replies :-)

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.