upgrade provision script TP1

Matthieu Patou mat+Informatique.Samba at matws.net
Sun Aug 23 15:45:41 MDT 2009

Hello andrew,

I've been pushing quite hard on this upgrade script.

So far it only upgrades the schema but most is already in to do upgrade
for the whole sam.ldb (schema, users,configuration).

I'd like that anyone interested throw an eye on it, of course it is a
bit rough but it's more or less like this that I think my script will be.

So for the good part it's able to upgrade the schema but it's worth
noting that after this all the LDB actions are much more slower ...
The size of the schema.ldb jumped to 75M (starting from a file with 15M)
and the freshly generated is 25M.

About slowness I just discovered that doing an ldbedit -H sam.ldb -b
"xx" on any modified partition put things in a better way (execution
time of upgradeschema drops from 30's for doing no modification to 15',
it's 21's when it's run for the first time stuff is done.
I don't know what's going on underneath sounds like a kind of reindexing
or reorganization, is there a way to trigger it in python (running the
the script more than once do not do the trick)

Any comments welcome !

Matthieu.