Is there a reason to have source4 in 3.4 releases?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 20 03:35:56 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 10:33 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 05:58:16PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > My preference would be for both the above (in GIT) and to remove the
> > source4 from the releases.
>
> I am sorry, but I would strongly argue against removing source4 in a minor
> release. For 3.5 that wouldn't be a problem, but not for 3.4.

Why?  If our users notice, it actually means that we have the problem
that we are trying to avoid.

That is, either nobody (developers running 'make test' as a QA measure
excepted) is using source4, then nobody should notice.

Alternately, if anybody is using the code in source4, and it matters to
them that it's removed, then that implies that they are expecting that
we will provide support, security updates and stability promises for
that code.

(I hope it's clear that we cannot provide those promises for a now
6-month old snapshot of Samba4).

I am very much looking forward to making releases of Samba4 - and hope
to get to a 'beta' in the near future - but we are not at this point
now.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.