Is there a reason to have source4 in 3.4 releases?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 20 01:58:16 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 09:47 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett schrieb:

> >> As the (sorta) end user I saw source4/ as a snapshot of Samba4 code,
> >> occasionally - more fresh than Samba4.0.0alpha7 (that's when I was
> >> trying it), but now older, than alpha8. I guess, it can create confusion
> >> for average user regarding "freshness" of the code and it's position
> >> in the source tree regarding releases.
> >
> > This is what worries me.   We are about to make a Samba 3.4.1 release,
> > but the while the Samba3 and common code in that directory is a solid
> > production release, the Samba4 code is just what happened to be in the
> > tree at the time it was branched.
> >
> > That's why I would like it removed from the Samba3 tarball.
>
> what about just removing the source4/configure.ac and have
> source4/autogen.sh to:
> echo "please use the code from master"
> exit 1

I think that would be a good start (and may end up being as much as is
practical).

I know there is the issue of needing to build smbtorture4, but given
that the tests improve, is it that useful to build an old testsuite?
(In the alternative, perhaps that's key, as it specifies a known-to-work
smbtorture4 for the 'make test').

My preference would be for both the above (in GIT) and to remove the
source4 from the releases.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.