Samba 3.0.36 GPL version ??

Mon Aug 17 08:10:42 MDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 07:31:57PM +0530, karthikeyan.chetty at wipro.com wrote:
> To be clear, all versions of Samba numbered 3.2 and later will be under
> the GPLv3, all versions of Samba numbered 3.0.x and before remain under
> the GPLv2.
> Is that after 3.0.26 everything is under GPLV3 , but next statement
> mentioned as 3.0.x & before remain under GPLV2.
> >From my understanding, Copy of samba3.0.26 taken and renumbered as
> samba3.2.X under GPLV3, and released the 3.0 series till samba3.0.36
> under GPLV2.
> Is that right?

To make things crystal clear:

Samba 3.0.36 is licensed under GPLv2 or later.

It should be obvious from the file COPYING that ships with
3.0.36, as well as the individual license headers in the .c
files, from which I copied a snippet here. This is also what
we wanted to say with "all versions of Samba numbered 3.0.x
and before remain under the GPLv2".

Sorry if all these hints are not clear enough. I'm afraid
I'm not a native speaker, through my German filter this is
pretty clear language.

Can you suggest a wording that is more clear, to avoid
further confusion?

Thanks,

Volker