[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - release-4-0-0alpha8-970-gd6270df

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Aug 13 14:10:16 MDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 03:02:03PM -0500, Gerald Carter wrote:
> Jeremy Allison wrote:
>
> >> Are the linux docs still correct that this is fs dependent?
> >>
> >>      In the current ext2, ext3 and ext4 filesystem
> >>      implementations, each extended attribute must fit on a
> >>      single filesystem block (1024, 2048 or 4096 bytes, depending
> >>      on the block size  specified  when  the filesystem was created).
> >>
> >>      In  the  XFS  and  reiserfs filesystem implementations, there is
> >>      no practical limit on the number or size of extended attributes
> >>      associated with a file,  and  the  algorithms  used  to  store  extended
> >>      attribute information on disk are scalable.
> >
> > I don't think this is the case for ext4 but I'd have to look
> > at the code. I think ext4 is 64k, but I thought it was also
> > 64k for ext3 (I think it'd been fixed a while ago). I'll have
> > to look in the source code to be sure.
>
> I can look it up then.  No worries.

I just did :-).

" * Extended attributes are stored directly in inodes (on file systems with
 * inodes bigger than 128 bytes) and on additional disk blocks. The i_file_acl
 * field contains the block number if an inode uses an additional block. All
 * attributes must fit in the inode and one additional block."

Jeremy.