Windows 7 RTM & W2K8 R2 RC unable to join Samba PDC

Mikhail Zuskov mzouskov at few.vu.nl
Thu Aug 13 06:04:38 MDT 2009

Hi all,

i've started testing Windows 7 and W2K8 R2 and i'm kind of stuck with the problem of joining them to
Samba domain.
After searching here and there we've upgraded our file servers and PDC to Samba 3.4 (from 3.0.17
:)), but it didn't help. Both systems can mount Samba shares, without any registry and security
hacks applied, but when i try to join them to our domain, it fails stating that domain either does
not exist or could not be contacted.
Strange thing is that i don't see anything in the samba logs about it, neither in smbd nor in the
log corresponding to that system. If i run snoop on PDC i do see the packet exchange between client
and PDC.
I saw different messages about Win7 clients joining 3.4 and 3.6 PDC, but i cant just switch Samba
version on production servers.
WinXP, W2k and Vista clients can join domain without any difficulties.
Our background:
Samba 3.4 PDC runs on Sun Solaris 9
Samba 3.4 BDC and file servers runs on Sun Solaris 10
This all runs on Sun hardware using Sun LDAP server for users etc.

I'll appreciate if someone has any ideas

Mikhail Zuskov