Fedora DS Support

Endi Sukma Dewata edewata at redhat.com
Wed Aug 12 10:28:52 MDT 2009

Hi Andrew,

I was able to setup Samba master & replica mainly by following
this procedure with a few changes:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/LDAP_Backend/Fedora_DS

I have written the new procedure in an internal website, should
I put it in Samba wiki page? If so I'd like to request a write
access to the wiki page for user edewata.

Basically the things that I had to fix were the schema mapping
and the mmr.pl script, there is no code change. I'll send the
patch for these fixes.

The other issue about SID generation is still work-in-progress,
the patch might be available in a few weeks.

I'm not familiar with the automation for OpenLDAP setup, could
you point me to the discussion/docs/code? These are the docs that
I've seen:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/LDAP_Backend/OpenLDAP
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Ubuntu_Server_9.04

For automating FDS setup, there are a few issues that I can think
of right now:

1. The system:anonymous parameter needs to be inserted into smb.conf
   which was created by hand.

2. The provisioning only works from the source tree (at least when
   I tried it) not from the installation tree.

3. The FDS setup-ds.pl doesn't read all parameters in fedorads.inf
   if run silently. I had to run it interactively.

4. The DNS has to be set up before configuring the replica.

I think we can address at least some of these issues.

--
Endi S. Dewata