extended provision-backend

Oliver Liebel oliver at itc.li
Thu Aug 6 10:02:16 MDT 2009

Michael Ströder schrieb:

> Being the maintainer of python-ldap I have no personal objections against you
> using it. Glad to read that it's pretty simple to use. :-)
>
> But bear in mind that you need at least OpenLDAP's libldap (or preferrably
> libldap_r) and python-ldap and optionally cyrus-sasl and OpenSSL being
> installed on the system. Well, I think Andrew has to decide on that.

absolutely.
but since s4 recommends the latest ol - version, (that should be
compiled with
cyrus-sasl and openssl to function properly in conjunction with s4) i see
no big problems here.

>>> Just food for thought: If you'd like to check whether you're really
>>> accessing the right OpenLDAP backend you could query a generated
>>> provision ID in the rootDSE by slapd.conf directive 'rootDSE' which
>>> points to an arbitrary LDIF file which you could generate.
>>>
>> thanks, but too complicated and oversized.
>>

> IMHO it's the only solution where you can really be sure that you talk to
> exactly the LDAP server you actually provisioned. Just in one of these
> "unlikely cases". ;-)
>
> Ciao, Michael.

i got a little python question and i think you can help:

i got his peace of code:
      p = Popen(slapdcommand_prov,shell=False)
        sts = os.waitpid(p.pid, 0)

to start slapd from the python provision-script.

slapcommand_prov is a generated string, that looks like this:
/usr/local/libexec/slapd -f /usr/local/samba/private/ldap/slapd.conf -h
ldapi://%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fsamba%2Fprivate%2Fldap%2Fldapi

no matter what i try (using the exact command instead of generated string),
this error is always returned:
  p = Popen(slapdcommand_prov,shell=False)
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

any idea?

oliver