Question on GPFS VFS

Thu Apr 30 08:49:52 GMT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 08:30:39AM +0200, miguel.sanders at arcelormittal.com wrote:
> I have been reading that you should use the GPFS VFS when
> using GPFS exported shares because of possible data
> corruption.

Well, this might be attributed to the gpfs share modes and
leases which Samba only makes use of when the gpfs module is
compiled in. This is only relevant though if you have
cross-platform (i.e. CIFS/NFS/local processes) applications
that are also aware of these concepts.

> Is this true? Is there also a performance benefit when
> using GPFS VFS? Are they other things I should take into
> account?

In latest GPFS and Samba we make use the new getrealfilename
call in GPFS which helps you for large directories.

Volker