Poor performance when accessing Linux from Windows XP because of too many QUERY_FILE_INFO requests

Wed Apr 29 07:43:11 GMT 2009

Hi!

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:03:37PM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> In a word:  Yes.
>
> Yes, you are going to see this sort of thing when you use the Windows
> Explorer (the GUI) to view directories.
>
> This has nothing to do with the server you are using.  Try the same thing
> against a Windows server and you will have the same results.  The client
> drives the interaction.
>
> Now do a 'dir' of the directory from the CMD shell in Windows.

Chris, we had this discussion on samba at samba.org already.
Arandar Xia will just not believe that this is normal
Windows behaviour, at least not me. Lets see on which
mailing list he shows up next.

Volker