Need help merging LDB into common lib/

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 13 12:22:02 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 09:25 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 03:49:24PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I've tried the simple approach, and made Samba4 build, but I'm at a bit
> > of a loss as to the Samba3 build system.  Perhaps someone with
> > experience in the Samba3 build system can help me fix up the branch at:
> >
> > git://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba.git ldb-common
> > http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ldb-common
> >
> > (Once this is done, I'll be in a position to test, and then propose my
> > libcli-auth-merge3 branch)
>
> As told on irc, I don't see a point in further use of ldb in
> Samba3, because we will have to maintain two code-bases in
> Samba3 then: The clustered version that uses direct tdb (see
> group_mapping.tdb) and the non-clustered version that does
> ldb.
>
> Because the existing ldb use in Samba3 already increases our
> maintenance effort, please *first* fix ldb (either version,
> the s3 *or* the s4 one, I don't care) to be used in a
> cluster.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow the logic here.  Samba3 already uses LDB,
and nobody is proposing to remove this at this stage (due to existing
deployed use cases).  I'm just suggesting that it would be good to only
have one copy to maintain.

I realise that a 'merge veto' is your only leverage to attempt to have
this already common code improved, but I do not think it is appropriate
in these circumstances, and I am in no position to act on your hopes for
a clustered LDB.

All I'm asking is for this common library to be made common.  We can
discuss use cases (such as avoiding the mymachinepw script in franky, or
accepting or rejecting my auth merge) at a separate stage.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.