Need help merging LDB into common lib/

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 13 05:49:24 GMT 2009

I would like to see LDB merged into the top level lib/ as lib/ldb,
rather than to have Samba3 and Samba4 share two different copies.

I need this for my merge of the high-level crypto functionality, but
even if for some reason the use I propose there is rejected, I think
avoiding needless duplication in this area is a good thing.

It also seems the right time to to this:  as we have just moved past the
3.4 branch point, the next Samba3 release from 'master' is quite some
time off, and any changes made to LDB APIs can be easily accomidated in
that development process (I will note however that simo has gone to
great lengths to avoid breaking the public API, which now ships as a
system library on many platforms).

An additional advantage to this would be that like tdb and talloc,
Samba3 would no longer need to bundle it's use of ldb, but link to the
system versions where provided.  This is strongly preferred in the
packaging policies of major linux distributions.

I've tried the simple approach, and made Samba4 build, but I'm at a bit
of a loss as to the Samba3 build system.  Perhaps someone with
experience in the Samba3 build system can help me fix up the branch at:

git://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba.git ldb-common
http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ldb-common

(Once this is done, I'll be in a position to test, and then propose my
libcli-auth-merge3 branch)

Thanks,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.