Samba4 Full Active Directory Schema Issues?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 3 03:22:21 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 19:42 -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> > As you would have seen in my mail yesterday, it seems there is much,
> > much more work to do.  We started adding support for possibleInferiors
> > yeasterday, and instead spent the day working on making the schema
> > lookup more efficient. (binary search instead of walking a linked list
> > every time).
> >
> > It turns out that with the previous code, just running with the larger
> > schema had a large performance cost.
>
> One word: caching.

Our problems were worse than that.  In trying to keep an abstraction
between ldb and Samba4, we were passing in the comparison functions
one-attribute-at-a-time, and ldb was inserting them into a sorted array
one at a time.  This was kind of expensive on the whole schema :-)

So, we now pass in a pointer for 'fetch me an attribute comparison
rule', and allow Samba4 to look it up (and there we may well implement
such a dual-tree if the need arises).

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.