Reconciling DEBUG in Samba 3 and Samba 4: Debug classes?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Sep 24 17:54:32 GMT 2008

Samba 3 and Samba 4 both have different implementations of DEBUG. This
is problematic when sharing object files because both DEBUG macros use
different helper functions that are not provided by the other Samba.

It would be nice if we could get both Samba's to use the same DEBUG()
implementation. The main difference between the current implementations
is that Samba 3 supports debug classes. The advantage of this is that
it's possible to have a different debug level set for different parts of
the code, the disadvantage is that it makes the DEBUG() macro and the
code it generates (horribly?) complex.

Are people using DEBUG classes? Should we keep them around? Or should we
go with the simple DEBUG() from Samba 4?

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org