VFS Linking errors

David Collier-Brown davecb at Sun.COM
Thu Sep 18 20:54:05 GMT 2008

Paul Weaver wrote:
> After successful tests on a linux machine, we're trying to deploy a VFS module onto a solaris x64 machine.
>
> Initial problem was we couldn't compile. Downloaded the source for 3.0.28, ran through configure and make. The VFS object compiled fine, but then wouldn't connect
>
> /usr/sfw/sbin/smbd --version
> Version 3.0.28
>
> [2008/09/18 15:18:26, 0] smbd/vfs.c:(66)
>   Failed to register vfs module.
>   The module was compiled against SMB_VFS_INTERFACE_VERSION 134502736,
>   current SMB_VFS_INTERFACE_VERSION is 21.
>   Please recompile against the current Samba Version!

I think you had an uninitialized version number variable, as 134502736 sounds bizzare!

> So we removed the prepackaged samba completely and installed 3.0.28 (the version we'd tested on on x86 linux)
>
> /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd --version
> Version 3.0.28
>
> and recompiled the vfs module
>
> We could then connect to the server, but then hit a snag
> ld.so.1: smbd: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/samba/lib/vfs/media_harmony.so: symbol __unsafe_string_function_usage_here__: referenced symbol not found

And this should be a warning about inadvertently using an unsafe function: if
you fail to link/run with it being produced, then I think you're calling something
that can be evil, like strncpy(1).

Sorry, I haven't built a VFS lately, so this is slightly old advice (;-))

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown            | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto      | some people and astonish the rest