Samba Ubuntu DOS refusing password

oden08 junk at jnjcbs.com
Tue Sep 16 19:04:34 GMT 2008

Hello, wondering if you all could help me with a problem that I have been
searching for an answer to for a few days.

I have a Samba V3.0.28a server running on the Ubuntu Server V8.04.1.  I can
connect to the share I have setup with my Windows XP PC's as well as my
Ubuntu desktop I have running.  I want to use this to host my ghost images
though and so am trying to connect to it using a DOS bootable floppy and
using "net use" to connect but getting the following:

N:\net use x: \\ubuntusamba\ghostimages
-->Type your user name, or press ENTER if it is <computer name>: <typed
username>
-->Type your password:<typed password>

-->Password is invalid for \\UBUNTUSAMBA\GHOSTIMAGES.
-->Type the password for \\UBUNTUSAMBA\GHOSTIMAGES: <typed password>

-->Error 5: Access has been denied

When using the same username and password on my normal XP & Ubuntu
workstations I am able to login without problems.  I previously had an old
Windows Server 2000 PC that I was sharing these using the DOS disk method
but needed to replace so though I would take the opportunity.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me as I am to the point of pulling
out my hair.  Anything would be appreciated.  thanks.