Additional Unix (Linux/POSIX) Extensions to CIFS

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:49:09 GMT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:36 AM, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 08:10 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 04:51:50PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> > > Has anyone given more thought to what additional "Unix Extensions"
> > > (extensions for better POSIX compat. and additional features for Linux
> and
> > > various Unix and Unix-like clients) are needed to the CIFS protocol?
> >
> > On a completely different topic: How are the unix extensions
> > applied to SMB2?

We have the same options as before, some combination of new commands, new
dialect and new info levels.   The obvious approach though would be simply
to map the Unix File Info levels to SMB2_QUERY_INFO and SMB2_SET_INFO.
With SMB2 there is no SetPathInfo, and we don't need the hardlink unix level
(and probably don't need the symlink infolevel either). The UnixQFSInfo
could also be done via  SMB2_QUERY_INFO setting flag SMB2_O_INFO_FILESYSTEM
and using the existing UnixQFSInfo level.   This should be fairly easy to
implement.

> At SambaXP I asked Microsoft if they left space for unix extensions.
> They said they haven't thought about that, but they were open to discuss
> (and maybe even implement in Windows) unix extensions for SMB2.

Yes - I had heard the same kind of answer from them.

--
Thanks,

Steve