Copyright file for Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 10 02:41:14 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 04:23 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Am Freitag, den 29.08.2008, 12:14 +1000 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> > I wondered if you might find someone on the debian side of things with
> > an interest to work on a better copyright file for Samba4?  I'm talking
> > about the file I find here:
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/s/samba4/current/copyright
> >
> > (but we should actually include it in Samba4 itslef).
> I'm actually the author of that file, together with Steinar :-)
>
> > The python-wmi package has made a good start, at
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/w/wmi/current/copyright
> That appears to be factually incorrect, at least where it concerns the
>  copyright on the WMI-related code, on which I also have copyright.
>
> Ideally, I would want to use the machine-parsable copyright format for
> Debian for this file in the future
> (http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat). Would this be an ok
> format to use for Fedora as well?

This would fit the need to include certain BSD copyright headers in the
installed documentation.

It is a pity they have chosen a subtly different format to that which
Fedora maintains for the short-hand for licences.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing

> > But I think we need to include more Heimdal licences (it is not all
> > under one licence, but so far I have not found anything particularly GPL
> > incompatible, particularly against GPLv3).  In the upstream code this is
> > (hopefully completely) summarised in doc/copyright.texi
> Indeed, agreed.
>
> > (Perhaps this is a good reason to get towards using an unmodified
> > Heimdal release, so we can just deal with this in the Heimdal package).
> Yeah, that would be nice. How close are we to being able to link against
> a system-provided Heimdal?

We are getting pretty close, but occasionally start requiring new
changes.  I'll try to work on this again - the kpasswd server tries to
use hdb_ldb as a keytab, which is cool, but the fixes to enable this is
one of the remaining patches.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.