[RFC] Suggested "combined tree" for easier development and Franky integration.

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Fri Sep 5 20:33:55 GMT 2008

Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 05:17:14PM +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> > We need to discuss how to handle the remaining duplicates from the old Samba3
> > and Samba4 trees. I'm looking forward to suggestions on how to improve the
> > migration guide as well.
>
> The only real clash I see is the swat/ directory. It should
> be easy to rename swat/ to swat3/ for example.
>
> For me running ./configure; make in source3 worked fine, so
> in theory nothing technical would stop us from switching to
> that combined tree, even if Jelmer's merged build patch is
> not yet there. Or am I missing anything?

No, I don't think you are missing anything.

Just the s3 packaging stuff will need some path changes, but
this should be very easy.

Let me stress here that the combined tree will be very useful
in its own right even without the merged build, since it will
allow us to reconcile common parts of both sambas more easily.

We will for instance be able to move for instance lib/tdb and
lib/talloc to the top level directory to eliminate the need to
sync these virtually identical folders between the two.
This way we would also have one only definitive source of these
subsystems.

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9