[patch] checking loopback ip address for ipv4?

boyang boyang at novell.com
Thu Sep 4 13:33:03 GMT 2008

Hi, everybody:
      First I am quite sorry that I didn't realize the format to send
email. I am quite sorry for the inconvenience.

      According to RFC3330 and RFC1700, 127.0.0.0/8 is used for loopback
address. Therefore, it is not enough just to check 127.0.0.1, any
address resides in 127.0.0.0/8 is loopback address. The issue appears in
net ads dns register, somebody has configured 127.0.0.2 to loopback
interface, and it is registered with dns, which is not right.
      It is true that 127.0.0.1 is the popular way that is used by
loopback interface, but there is always exceptions that somebody uses
other address in 127.0.0.0/8 as loopback address.
      patch for v3-[023]-test and v3-devel arrive in attachment, please
review it.
      Thanks!
Best
       Regards