[RFC] i18n/l10n pam_winbind for samba 3.x

Mon Oct 27 19:31:16 GMT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 07:40:17AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> When it comes at documentation, the key point is finding a good
> system. "Just" translating the XML files (or *roff files) is mostly
> useless as any further update makes the translation obsolete with no
> easy way to reconcile changes. There are tools to handle such files'
> translation with gettext, such as named "po4a" ("PO for anything").
>
> With such tools, Debian translators managed to translate things as
> hairy as dpkg or APT documentation, several reference manuals, etc.
>
> Again, I'd personnally love to see more i18n in samba. As far as I
> know, the only i18n'd thing is SWAT.

While there --- I'd *love* to get rid of the XML file for at
least smb.conf.5. This manpage was broken so many times in
the past that I'd consider XML just a big mistake for what
we need.

I know that this is very controversial and that normally it
comes down to installing just the right sub-patchlevel of
all the required style sheets, xml processors etc. But
figuring out which exact versions are required has more of
black art than I like. It's like Java: Write once, run
everywhere, until you decide to run apt-get upgrade and
debian gives you a different jvm. Then you can start from
scratch.

Volker