Joining Domain Problem - Windows 2008

Jason Powell jason.powell at lumison.net
Fri Oct 24 07:57:47 GMT 2008

Hi there

I am having problems getting Samba 3.0.28-0.e14.9 on RHEL5 to join a
Windows 2008 Active Domain. I have set up the realms in the Kerberos
file correctly because I can use the command kinit to get a token and it
successfully gets a token. In Windows using the event viewer it confirms
that the token has been got.
How ever using various incarnations of smb.conf I can not get the
command net ads join command to work. Even though I am using a windows
account on the Active Directory server that has the ability to join
domains the command that comes back is unable to logon to NT domain.
Which is quite a lot further forward seeing I was getting messages about
unable to find logon servers.

I was wondering if anyone could point out a nice document to enable to
do this (Without LDAP if possible), or if you guys could be nicer if you
could send me some configuration files that could get me started in a
new directory seeing that I have tried so many variations of documents
that I have found on the web ranging from enabling different client
authentication methods and server signing, but these all seem to be for
Windows 2003 and not Windows 2008 Server.

I mean does anything have to be configured on the Windows end or anything.

Any help would be most grateful

Regards

Jason

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison and nPlusOne.
presence of viruses.  Lumison and nPlusOne accept no liability for any