[DEVELOPERS] Commits

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Thu Oct 23 20:13:43 GMT 2008

Hi Jeremy,

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:55:31PM +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> >
> > Should I set up a private git repo for you. And give you instructions
> > to push your commits as backup there.
> >
> > Then others also have a chance to fetch your changes via a cron job,
> > e.g. I fetch almost everyone's git branch to my laptop and my home
> > server every 5 mins.
> >
> > And People can also review your work via gitweb.samba.org.
>
> This comes under the umbrella of "getting more comforatable
> with git". After I get back from Beijing maybe.

Ignorance is bliss.... :-P

But let me give you a hint about _how easy_ it actually is:

Generally, when you have a private repo on git.samba.org
(i.e. once metze has set it up for you which is a matter
of minutes), pushing branch "master" (e.g.) to that location
instead of to the common samba.git repo boils down to calling

git push ssh://git.samba.org/data/git/jra/samba.git master

instead of

git push ssh://git.samba.org/data/git/samba.git master

Or to give one more potentially useful example:
when you want to push your local branch "master" to
a branch called "master-wip" in your private repo, call:

git push ssh://git.samba.org/data/git/jra/samba.git master:master-wip

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9