[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated - 60164e9002c28911dbfd7115cb9bff05be5aff25

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Thu Oct 23 13:14:15 GMT 2008

On Thursday 23 October 2008 14:39:39 Derrell Lipman wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:58 PM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
> > - Log -----------------------------------------------------------------
> > commit 60164e9002c28911dbfd7115cb9bff05be5aff25
> > Merge: 391ce30d497503ce998d0c5dbab9ea7d4fe3ed3b
> > 596089ec06b0a2b2ec3e0e5bd6d46c2e767bd954
> > Author: Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org>
> > Date:   Thu Oct 23 04:58:08 2008 +0200
> >
> >    Merge branch 'master' of ssh://git.samba.org/data/git/samba
>
> Sometimes git merges by adding each commit that was done, while other
> times, like here, it adds just a single entry to the git-log showing that a
> merge was done, but with no detail.  Is it possible to control that and
> force a merge with all commits being merged to be added independently?

I think the difference is if you're using "git merge" or "git rebase".

Usually, if you update your git tree using "git pull", this will do a merge.
However, it'll only create a merge commit if there's local changes. If you
then push these changes, tools like gitk will show a merge commit with two
parent branches. If you push that to the shared tree, other people will see
the merge commit.

If you update your git tree using "git fetch; git rebase origin/master", your
local commits will be applied to the head of the branch you rebased on. So
from a technical point of view, the patches are reapplied, not merged, thus
no merge commit is created. If you now push these changes, they'll just show
up in the log one after the other.

So far it seems like we agree to disagree if we want to merge or rebase. I
know that Jelmer prefers to merge, Karolin, vl, metze, gd, Michael and me
prefer rebases. (See vl's mail that just arrived.)

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin