[Samba] Samba 3.2, Samba 3.3 release planning

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Wed Oct 22 06:53:31 GMT 2008

Hi William, Jerry,

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> William Jojo wrote:
> >
> >> I love that releases are moving very quickly now. My only
> > concern is keeping up with and determining what is appropriate
> > as I continue to maintain AIX binaries on my web page.
> >
> >> Presently I have already dropped the 3.0 series and have
> > 3.2.4 available with the clustering option for AIX 5.3 and 6.1.
> >
> >> I am trying to determine how best to support a 3.2 and 3.3
> > parallel set or if I should just drop 3.2 after 3.3.1 is
> > released or some other arbitrary schedule. :-) :-)
> >
> >> How long after 3.3 is released to production does the Samba
> > team anticipate supporting the 3.2 line?
>
> That has not bee decided yet.  The 3.0.x releases are in
> maintenance mode (transitioned as soon as 3.2.0 was released).
> The 3.0.x series will reach EOL on Jul 1, 2009.
>
> I expect that 3.2.x will be moved to maintenance mode as soon
> as 3.3.0 is released.

Yes that had been decided exactly like this.

> maintenance == "only critical bug fixes and security issues"
>
> What we've not stated is how long it would be until v3.2.x
> reaches EOL.  Based on past data, I expect 6 - 12 months, but
> that is just a guess and not really up to me.

If I am not completely wrong, this had been decided as well
as follows: A release will reach EOL when the next release
goes into maintenance mode, i.e. when the second next release
comes out. With the aimed release cycle of 6 months, this means
that each release will go into maintenance mode after 6 months
and reach EOL anonther 6 months later. Example: 3.2 will go into
maintenance mode in december 2008, when 3.3 is scheduled for
release, and 3.2 will reach EOL around June 2009 (?) when 3.4 is
scheduled.

At least that is what Karolin had proposed and as far as I
remember at least noone had objected. (Time will tell if the
workload is manageable with such a tight release cycle.)

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

> If I were packaging Samba, I would only focus on the latest
> production release.

Exactly.

Of course it makes sense to try and package the pre-releases of
the next release to see in time whether packaging will require
adaptions. The pre-release phase is supposed to start roughly half
way through the 6 months period.

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9