[SAMBA3/RFC] Merged build by default when possible?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Oct 18 13:30:12 GMT 2008

Samba 3's configure can now detect when all the prerequisites are there
for a merged build (also building Samba 4). When Samba 4 is built, this
also  means smbtorture from Samba 4 is run against Samba 3 during "make
test".

Right now the merged build can be enabled by --enable-merged-build and
disabled by configure's --disable-merged-build, the default being not
using the default build. Should we automatically enable the merged build
if no --{enable,disable}-merged-build parameter was found and the
prerequisites are present? The only disadvantage of this that I can
think of is that the build will be slower since more files have to be
built.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org