Is it possible to switch-off the preservation of the file timestamps (access and modification times) on file copy?

Jiri Sasek - RPE Prague Jiri.Sasek at Sun.COM
Fri Oct 17 00:13:34 GMT 2008

Hello samba gurus

Samba start using the utimes() call to preserve the access and
modification times of the transferred file. This change happens
somewhere between the 3.0.2 and 3.0.14 where I did not investigated it
exactly. Evaluating this problem some time ago I have found this
behavior can not be changed by any of the configuration option. Am I right?

Case can be the storage of the huge DVD images running on the multi-node
filessytem (SAM-QFS for instance) accessed via the Windows Explorer.
Win.Explorer is copyingthe files in 64k blocks setting the time-stamp of
the target file on every block transfer. utimes() operation seems to be
much more time consuming on the multi-node filesystem which keeps the
consistency of such timestamps  between the single nodes. This is making
the copy operation extremely slow in comparison of the usage of the
simple filesystem nor the usage of the "copy" command line utility.

I suppose the simple option:

 "preserve timestamps = [yes/no]"   (default: yes)

can fix this problem. Is there anybody who also supports such "feature"?

Jiri