How to make a Samba3 or Samba4 release from master

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 10 07:18:15 GMT 2008

As we start using the merged tree, I wanted to get some input from the
list on the best way to make a release.

It seems to me that a release of Samba has 3 goals
 - a defined snapshot of known-good quality
 - an easy, preconfigured (autogen.sh is already run) source tree from
which to build
 - the basis for binary packages for distributions.

Into these goals come our now rather more conflicted working
environment.

At the time of a Samba3 release
 - Samba3 may be stable, but the Samba4 tree in the same repository may
not be
 - Documents, source code and similar will refer to features not found
in Samba3

Similarly, at a Samba4 preview release
 - Samba3 will be at an intermediate state in it's release cycle
 - Documents and source code will refer to Samba3's smbd and tools.

Even if these are not significant issues, how is a user of the tarball
to know which (source3 or source4) directory to use, and what directions
should they follow?

I'm proposing that we should setup the release to only contain files
pertaining to that release - ie, 'rm -rf source3' in the Samba4
mkrelease.sh script (naturally also removing other Samba3-only files).

Comments?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.