libsmbclient - Thread Saftey

Derrell Lipman derrell.lipman at unwireduniverse.com
Fri Oct 3 14:46:14 GMT 2008

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Pane, Chris <cpane at vanteon.com> wrote:

> I have been using libsmbclient to do some smb share browsing in an
> application. I have read that it is currently not thread safe in samba-3.x.
> Anyone know if there are plans for it to be made thread-safe in samba4?

Hi Chris,

I believe I've eliminated all non-thread-safe issues from within
libsmbclient itself (although that will require a thorough inspection to
confirm), but the core functions within samba that libsmbclient calls have
not been thread-safe.  Samba4 interfaces are, I think, inherently
thread-safe.  Therefore, although no work has begun yet on creating a samba4
version of libsmbclient (and it's not yet scheduled), I don't believe
there's any reason why a samba4 libsmbclient can't or won't be thread-safe.

Cheers,

Derrell