[Release Planning 3.3] Preparations for Samba 3.3.0

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Fri Nov 28 15:35:56 GMT 2008

Quoting Karolin Seeger (kseeger at samba.org):

> There are only 17 days left until the planned release date and I am not sure if
> that is enough time for getting feedback. If you are interested in getting 3.3.0
> out soon, please start testing and report your experiences as soon as possible.

For the record, I had a look yesterday at the newly appeared
sources/locale directory with early localization of some source files.

This is IMHO a great progress and a good move towards a wider i18n of
samba (smbclient and maybe libsmbclient could be next candidates).

However, I think the content of that directory could be more inline
with what's usually done in gettext material directories of other
FLOSS projects:

- have a Makefile
- embark a POT file along with the source distribution (to allow
potential translators to easily find  material to work on)

I tried to ask some fellow Debian developers, particularly in the
small i18n community we have in Debian, to have a look at this and
hopefully provide patches to better integrate this in the auto* layout
used by samba.

As of now, at least one person (Neil Williams, CC'ed) tried but
mentioned me limitations he had to fully get the whole picture of
Samba's build system....and therefore he feels himself unable to (at
least alone) provide a working good patch to make such integration.

It could be interesting if some exchanges happen so that there could
be some convergence towards some progress in that area....either for
3.3.0, or for a forther 3.3.* version, of even for 3.4.*!