Samba client compilation

Derrell Lipman derrell at samba.org
Mon Nov 24 13:41:16 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:10 PM, nguyen y <nguyeny at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mr Derrell,
>
> My name's Y Nguyen, an IT student in Vietnam.
> First of all, I want to thank Samba project team because Samba is a
> solution for my practical project.
> In my project, I must develop a smb client side with GUI (a Cocoa
> application).
> Samba project (version 3.2.4) is my approach.
> I try a lot but I don't know what module's source code that need to build
> client side (such as libsmbclient).
> So could you give me some advices about it? or where to start to use Samba
> source code (to build client side).
> Thanks you very much!
>
> Best Regards!
> Y Nguyen

Hi.  I'm CCing the reply to the samba-technical list.  In the future, you
can just post your messages directly to that list.

It sounds like you just need to call libsmbclient functions. All of the
major Linux distributions have a package that you can install to provide the
library and its header file.  That package is usually called 'libsmbclient'
I think.  You shouldn't actually need to build libsmbclient from source
yourself in this case.

If you do want to compile from source, you can get the latest source by
following the instructions here:

  http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_Git_for_Samba_Development

You'll need to learn about using "git" and how to switch between
repositories, etc.  With this source tree, you can change directory into
"source" (or "source3" if you're using the 'master' branch) and type:

  ./autogen && ./configure.developer --enable-debug && make

That will build all of Samba including libsmbclient assuming a default
installation path (/usr/local/samba, I think).  You can then install it with

  sudo make install

You'll need to include libsmbclient.h in your application, and then link
your application with -lsmbclient

Hope that helps.

Derrell