Raising libwbclient version to 1.0?

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Thu Nov 20 18:47:29 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 8:52 PM, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 18:41 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
>> simo schrieb:

>> > If you bump up tho, old application that could work flawlessly will
>> > simply fail to find the library.
>>
>> But you can install a compat library, as we discussed when 3.2.0 was
>> released.
>
> Yes but this way an upgrade would break in a distribution.
> Package managers know that software X depends on library v 0.2 and they
> will not allow you to update to the latest samba version because it will
> see that upgrading the package will break a dependency.
> So users will need to manually upgrade installing the compat package too
> at the same time.
This is where versioned symbols come into play. Mark new symbols with
new version, leave old ones unversioned and don't change SO major
version, only increase a minor one. Applications that link against new
library and use newer interfaces will get versioned dependencies in
both ELF and RPM/Deb.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy