Raising libwbclient version to 1.0?

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Nov 20 17:52:11 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 18:41 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> simo schrieb:
> > On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 18:27 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> >> Hi Jerry,

> >> The problem is that applications which use new function
> >> would not work with an old library.
> >
> > If you bump up tho, old application that could work flawlessly will
> > simply fail to find the library.
>
> But you can install a compat library, as we discussed when 3.2.0 was
> released.

Yes but this way an upgrade would break in a distribution.
Package managers know that software X depends on library v 0.2 and they
will not allow you to update to the latest samba version because it will
see that upgrading the package will break a dependency.
So users will need to manually upgrade installing the compat package too
at the same time.

> Or we just say it's the job of the package maintainers to add the
> correct dependecies, so that all installed packages work together...
> and just ship it as version 0.2

This would be my preference in this case. We should only bump when
upgrading would actually break old applications, future compatibility
should be solved with package dependencies instead.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat Inc. <simo at redhat.com>