winbind and secondary ADS

Yonatan Broza shorttoedeagle at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:26:21 GMT 2008

Hi,

I sent this this question to the general samba mailing list but got no reply.
Maybe some code level understanding will help.

I'm working with two AD servers (I was trying to setup a primary and
secondary):

From smb.conf:

password server = server1, server2
security = ADS

This is the scenario I tested and the results:

===> Start:
CLDAP is sent to server1.
Authentication requests (microsoft-ds) are sent to server1.

===> server1 disconnected:
CLDAP is sent to server2.
Authentication requests (microsoft-ds) are sent to server2.

===> server1 re-connected (the strange part):
CLDAP is sent to server1.
Authentication requests (microsoft-ds) are sent to server2.

===> server2 disconnected:
CLDAP is sent to server1.
Authentication requests (microsoft-ds) are sent to server1.

(I am using tcpdump and iptables locally for the test, so I might be missing
some of the traffic.)

My question: Once I re-connect server1, why doesn't winbind go back to using
it. It seems to go on using server2. And at the same time CLDAP queries are
sent to server1.

Thanks!