Memory leaks in smbd ?

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Thu Nov 20 07:40:50 GMT 2008

Jeremy Allison schrieb:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 02:54:08PM +0100, Martin Zielinski wrote:
>> Jeremy Allison schrieb:

>>> I'd still like to nail those if they are leaks though. Can you
>>> give me any more info on the pool useage there ?
>>>
>>> Jeremy.
>>>
>> Hi Jeremy,
>>
>> We tried to reproduce the situation caused the first post about a memory
>> leak. My  colleague told me, that it is necessary to have a printer
>> window open displaying several print jobs.
>>
>> I've attached the gzipped 26k file. If it doesn't make it to the list, I
>> could resend it to you personally.
>>
>> Compared to the first post we had *before* Volkers patch lots of:
>>
>> Printer Entry [-40000784]      contains     26 bytes in   2 blocks
>>     	.name                          contains     26 bytes in   1
>> struct samu                    contains    543 bytes in  26 blocks
>> 	struct passwd                  contains     71 bytes in   6
>> [...]
>>
>> and now we only have
>>
>> Printer Entry [-40000784]      contains     26 bytes in   2 blocks
>> 	.name                          contains     26 bytes
>> Printer Entry [-40000784]      contains     26 bytes in   2 blocks
>>         .name                          contains     26 bytes in   1
>> Printer Entry [-40000784]      contains     26 bytes in   2 blocks
>>         .name                          contains     26 bytes in   1
>> [...]
>>
>> If these entries are a leak I can't say - but you will know.
>
> They don't look like leaks to me. Each "Printer Entry [-40000784]"
> is a policy handle on a printer open on a specific pipe. You only
> have 15 of them currently open in this log so this doesn't seem
> too many (IMHO). They're all kept track of and will be closed if
> the pipe or specific handle is closed.
>
> Jeremy.

That's totally ok. Before Volker's patch we had daemons which grew   up
to 20-30 MB in one hour. Now the daemon stays below 10MB.
I'm really happy with the current solution and allready closed the
internal bug report.

Thanks a lot,

Martin

Martin Zielinski 			mz at seh.de
Softwareentwicklung			T +49 (0)521 94226 76

SEH Computertechnik GmbH 		www.seh.de