make valgrindtest

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Nov 19 00:30:17 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 11:19 +0100, Kai Blin wrote:
> it seems like make valgrindtest is broken on the merged build. At least on my
> box, valgrind displays an error about not being able to load libtalloc.so.1.
> It seems to me that the library path isn't set correctly in the xterms. I've
> tried adding this at a couple of places in Makefile.in, but that didn't seem
> to help.
>
> Interestingly, adding the LD_LIBRARY_PATH required for the tests to my .bashrc
> didn't help either, even though manually starting xterm picks up the setting.
>
> Any idea how to fix this?
Please note that "make valgrindtest" isn't just broken in the merged
build, but also in Samba 3 itself.

This is caused by the fact that xterm is setuid (probably to write to
utmp) and therefore its environment is cleaned up before it is run, for
security reasons. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH from within xterm should take
care of the problem.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org