samba4 - behavior question, prob with alternate data streams

Thorsten Trautwein-Veit thorsten.trautwein-veit at schulergroup.com
Tue Nov 18 15:26:13 GMT 2008

Hi folks,
i set up a samba4 dc and joined successfully an samba4 member server. Is
it true that an change on smb.conf is not recognized until a restart of
the samba process ?
---
I am testing the fileserverpart - alternate datastreams . Using an
samba4 share from XP (SP3) doing :

>Z:\vers>type c:\windows\notepad.exe >ads_bin.txt:notepad.exe
>Es steht nicht genug Speicherplatz auf dem Datenträger zur Verfügung. (
in Engl. There is not enough space left on device )

notepad size is 70.144 Bytes  which is bigger then the 64Kb xattr space
provided by xfs. How would you handle such an ads ? Split it into junks
of the aviable xattr size ( file system Dependant ) . I have seen bigger
ad streams sitting on files in real world.

What i have verified is that the vfs xattr layer is used ... samba shows
>smbsrv_recv
>switch message SMBtconX (task_id 0)
>NTVFS backend 'xattr' registered
>NTVFS backend 'nfs4acl' registered
>smbsrv_recv
>switch message SMBntcreateX (task_id 0)

---

tomorrow i will have an closer look on filepermissions but up to now i
looks really good. And then i will work on dfs hosting on samba4.

Hint :
the /usr/src/samba-master/source4/smbd/samba.8.xml states that the
smb.conf resides in /usr/local/samba/lib by default i belive it has
chnaged to /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf

Thanks all,
Thorsten

--
Freundliche Grüße / Best regards