Domaintrust samba4 <-> samba4 not working ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 18 02:17:26 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 15:57 +0100, Thorsten Trautwein-Veit wrote:
> Hi all,
> i decided to stop testing mmr until the patch is out. I set up two
> samba4 DC and tried to establish an twoway domain trust between these
> both samba4 servers with the microsoft Trust and Relationship tool.
> On the initiating machine i got following error :
>
> Failed to create user record
> cn=WZBGP2,cn=users,DC=wzbgrpn1,DC=schuler,DC=de: attribute
> clearTextPassword is not a valid attribute in schema

Hmm, odd.  That should not happen...

> Interesting is that after this failing Trust Microsoft Trust and
> Relationship tool is complaining :
> Messagebox caption : Active Directory Domains and Trusts
> Messageboxbody : You cannot modify domain or trust information because
> the following Primary Domain Controller (PDC) emulator cannot be contacted :
> wzbgprn1.wzbprn1.schuler.de. Please verify that the PDC emulator and the
> network are both online and functioning properly.
>
> Notice the double of the machinename wzbgprn1 ....
>
> Does it make sense to test domain trusts ?

Not yet, once I get the extended DN work done, then I'll start looking
at domain trusts.  We hope to have a kerberos-only domain trust solution
available in the next few months, followed (much) later by NTLM support.

I'm sorry you have tried both the things that don't currently work.  I
do hope you can still keep trying out parts of Samba4, while we work to
fix these issues.