"write list" overrides "read only" but "admin users" does not

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Nov 18 01:21:01 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 04:02:07PM -0800, Steven Danneman wrote:

> I agree Jeremy, that "read only" intuitively implies a read-only medium,
> like a CDROM.  Which is why the "write list" concept seems incongruent.

Good point.

> It is because "write list" does not behave in this manor, but rather
> let's users override a "read only" setting (something that you could not
> do on a CDROM) that I felt "admin users" should similarly violate that
> intuitive notion.

Yes, I see why you would think this.

> Regardless, it seems this is an inconsistency that fixing (either by
> making "admin users" write or "write list" users not) would upset
> someone, and thus perhaps should just be documented more clearly in the
> man page and left as is.

Well the way we've handled these things in the past is if someone
really wants a semantics change, we put it to a vote on the list,
and get all opinions and come to a consensus.

I'm not averse to doing that with the idea of adding "admin users"
default members of the write list, but it's your idea so I'll
let you run with it if that's what you want to do :-).

Jeremy.