"write list" overrides "read only" but "admin users" does not

Steven Danneman steven.danneman at isilon.com
Mon Nov 17 22:14:22 GMT 2008

> I really don't like the idea of overriding the 'read only' thing.
> Similarly, we generally recommend against the 'admin users' parameter.
>
> I don't think changing these semantics is a good idea.  It seems
> entirely valid to have a share with root-only data that must not be
> written to, but the administrator has chosen to make available to
> 'admin users'.

Andrew,

Thanks for your input.  It is the inconsistency between the "write list"
behavior and the "admin users" behavior that bugs me.  It doesn't make
sense that any parameter should override "read only".  But since "write
list" does, it's confusing that "admin users" does not.

But instead of changing "write list" to respect "read only" which would
obviously mess up existing configurations, it's best just to do nothing.

-Steven