Compile errors with gcc-4.3

Cam Macdonell cam at cs.ualberta.ca
Fri Nov 14 18:26:55 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've encountered a few compiler errors both 3.0.32 and v3-0-stable

One example is:

Compiling locking/locking.c
locking/locking.c: In function ‘unparse_share_modes’:
locking/locking.c:701: error: invalid operands to binary - (have ‘char
*’ and ‘unsigned char *’)

the offending line is

offset = p - result.dptr;

however checking the types I see they are both of type char *

char *p = result.dptr + offset;

typedef struct TDB_DATA {
	char *dptr;
	size_t dsize;
} TDB_DATA;

a second bunch are here:

Compiling libsmb/smb_share_modes.c
libsmb/smb_share_modes.c: In function ‘share_mode_entry_equal’:
libsmb/smb_share_modes.c:134: warning: passing argument 1 of
‘sharemodes_procid_equal’ from incompatible pointer type
libsmb/smb_share_modes.c: In function ‘create_share_mode_entry’:
libsmb/smb_share_modes.c:153: error: incompatible types in assignment
libsmb/smb_share_modes.c: In function ‘smb_get_share_mode_entries’:
libsmb/smb_share_modes.c:234: error: incompatible types in assignment

They all seem to be related to unsigned versus signed operations

I'm compiling with gcc 4.3 on Fedora 9.  Is there an issue with
compiling samba with gcc 4.3?  I've rerun autogen.sh, make clean,
configure without success.

Thanks,
Cam