Locking with CTDB

Henning Henkel h.henkel at science-computing.de
Thu Nov 13 17:14:14 GMT 2008

Volker Lendecke schrieb:

> No, that is a bug in OCFS2. Cifsmount->Samba uses the Posix
> extensions, and in this case Samba just passes the posix
> lock requests down to the file system. We do not do the
> Posix locking semantics on our own in this case. You might
> want to try "unix extensions = no" on the Samba server, but
> I am not sure that cifsfs is able to map the app's unix
> locks correctly to Windows locks. If it does, you get the
> mapped locks correctly handled across the cluster.
>
> Volker

Okay, after a hard time debugging while it still doesn't work with
Windows clients, I watched one of Andrew Tridgell's movies, which gave
me the final clue. I came accross the 'vfs objects = fileid' option for
smb.conf file, and a look into the source revealed that "fileid:mapping"
apparently has been renamed to "fileid:algorithm" in Samba 3.2.

Incidentially, the fs I've been toying around with happens to be
Frauenhofer's clustered filesystem (FhGFS) which does not support Posix
locks and, even worse,  does not provide consistent inode numbers across
different fs clients. So it's a nice example of what can go wrong when
trying to run clustered Samba, but it's definitely not up to the job. (I
also happened to note that the same inconsistencies in inode numbers
happen for multiple cifsmounts of the same share even from a single
server. Does that happen by design or is it a bug?)

Maybe it would be good to have some information at the wiki which
versions of Samba and CTDB are used in the examples?

Henning

--
________________________________creating IT solutions
Henning Henkel                  science + computing ag

--
Vorstand/Board of Management:
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/