Samba suddenly fails

remush stephenbh at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 07:02:32 GMT 2008

We have been using samba at our community centre as a file server with a
bunch of shares on it for about 2 months, after lunch today, it started
giving error messages from win xp pro clients such as >the network name can
not be found< I've been getting other errors such as >permission denied
check you have valid access< I have made no changes to the smb.conf file in
weeks, no updates have been installed onto the system (debian 4)

I removed samba AND reinstalled it but nothing changed.

Here is a sample of my smb.conf file

[global]
workgroup = workgroup
netbios name = AdraFileServerold