http://git.samba.org/?p=tprouty/samba.git; a=shortlog; h=dos_attr_work

Tim Prouty tprouty at samba.org
Tue Nov 11 18:45:01 GMT 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 12:32 AM, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Assuming that chflags(2) is yet another variant of storing
> DOS attributes, we now have the Isilon (FreeBSD?) version,
> the EA version, the normal unix permission one, and at some
> point GPFS will add yet another variant. Isn't it time to
> really create a VFS call to retrieve and set those 4 bits?

As I said in my response to James' feedback, I wrote the patch with
the intention for it not to be Isilon specific, but instead for it to
be open to other systems implementing dos attribute storage in the
same way.  My hope is that other systems looking to implement storing
dos attributes would be able to utilize one of these three options.
If it turns out that other systems (like gpfs) need to add yet another
variant, I agree that creating a new VFS call is a good solution to
this problem.  If it's acceptable, I'd like to move forward with
pushing this patch for the short term, with adding a new vfs call now
on the radar for the future.

Thanks!

-Tim