kerberos_kinit_password Preauthentication failed

Herb Lewis hlewis at panasas.com
Mon Nov 10 17:10:06 GMT 2008

I sometimes get this error after a net ads join. wbinfo -t will
fail with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED. and net ads testjoin will
return that error but say the join is OK. If I rejoin the domain
(or I think sometimes if I just wait long enough - several minutes)
wbinfo -t will then work. It all seems to be related to what kdc
is listed first in the krb5.conf file but I'm not positive.

What causes this error. Is is just something to do with the sync
time between the various kdc's in the domain?